Place: Live for 4 days on the home of the Twelve Olympian gods of the ancient Greek world. You will be accommodated in the alpine mountain huts of Mt.Olympus.
Period: June to October 2017
About the place Olympus was notable in Ancient Greek Mythology as the home of the Twelve Olympians, on the Mytikas peak. Mount Olympus is also noted for its very rich flora with several species. It has been the first National Park of Greece, since 1938, and a World's Biosphere Reserve. Looking down, is a fantastic view to the valley and the endless sandy coastline of the Aegean Sea. Looking up , to Zeus throne, it is a breathtaking view of the top of the mountain,
This vacation package is addressed to the real mountain lovers who will enjoy a, daily 7-8 hours trekking on the pathways of the mountain and will not mind being accommodated in the common rooms of the mountain refuges.
How to reach Olympus: Litochoro can reached very easy by a direct train Thessaloniki-Athens, getting off in Litochoro station or with bus.
Level Requirements: In Mt. Olympus we walk 5-6 hours per day, we mostly follow good forest paths; above the tree – line, the terrain varies from grassy uplands to rocky ridges, with some scrambling required for the peak ascents. A good level of fitness and experience is required to climb the peak and the guide reserves the right to make the final decision if we climb the final peak.
Around Litochoro: Being the entrance to Olympus Mountain, Litochoro is surrounded by places of astounding natural beauty but also by historical monuments e.g. Dion and the castle of Platamonas. Only 5km from the seaside it is also an ideal place to enjoy both mountain and sea vacations. Ag.Panteleimonas on the mountains and Leptokaryes, by the sea, are two other picturesque villages of the area, worth visiting. You cannot leave of course without visiting the fascinating antiquities of Dion, an archeological park with theaters and temples dedicated to Zeus.
Arrive and meet your guide and rest of the group in Litochoro. Transfer to Gkortsia(Diastayrwsh), from where we begin our hike, at an altitude of 1.100 metres. The route from Gkortsia to Petrostrougka Refuge is one of the two most frequented hiking path on Mount Olympus. Most of the hike is through a thick forest of pine, beech and fir trees, and the path is in good condition. We make our way up to 1.940m alt. and reach the refuge.
(Estimated Walking Time: approx. 3 hours)
From the refuge, we will follow a zig zaging path will bring us straight to Plateau of the Muses where a small but friendly refuge will accommodate us( 2 hrs walk ). This is an easy day in breathtaking scenery.After lunch and relax we will climb a small peak – named Profitis Ilias and Toumba – just above our refuge to admire superb views of Mt Olympus summits and deep gorges ( 2 hrs round trip ). An alpine plato at an altitude of 2700m where a small but friendly refuge will accommodate us.
(Estimated Walking Time 4 – 6 hours)
From there we have two options according to groups fitness and weather conditions: Before reaching the summit we ascent to the main path and crossing the spectacular precipice under the summit of Stefani - the throne of Zeus. We either climb first Skala at 2.882 meters and then crossing a narrow ridge climb to the summit of Skolio at 2.911meters( 4-5 hrs walking on narrow paths – some scrambling involved – altitude gain of 800m ). Or if weather permits and there is no snow, we ascent to the main summit - Mytikas (2.917meters), Greece’s highest peak, following a narrow gorge ( it involves about 150 m of scrambling. Then following the sort path which is going to refuge A at 2.100m, they call this shelter “balcony of Greece” ( 2 hrs walk ). Afternoon at leisure for rest as the next day will be demanding.
(Estimated Walking Time 4- 6 hours)
Last day will follow the E4 path (international path) until Litochoro, after easy walk we stop at Prionia place.(Prionia is one of the highest point which can be reached by car) Later we enter the Enippeas gorge, passing a cave-chapel and the monastery of St. Dionysus, as well as taking advantage of several swimming opportunities en route in river pools. After about seven hours walking, the gorge opens up on the outskirts of Litochoro. The route is quite tiring, but the varied geological features, the small lakes with crystal waters and the sheer mountain slopes provide a rare beauty and are entirely rewarding.
(Estimated Walking Time 6 – 7 hours)
Participation fee: 265 € / person
•Accommodation in berths on refuges on Mt. Olympus
•Greek Adventure English speaking guide during the ascent of Mt.Olympus
•All the guide expenses
•Transfer Litochoro – Prionia
•All the Taxes.
•Drinks and beverages
•Optional gratuities to leader, guides and local staff
•Transport from Athens or other towns to / from Litochoro
FB supplement: 100€
Include: 3 breakfast,4 lunch packs, 3 Dinner
HB supplement: 60€
Include: 3 breakfast, 3 Dinner
• Please note that this itinerary is subject to change at the discretion of the tour leader, according to local and weather conditions.
• As Mt. Olympus is a challenging walk and the safety of our clients always comes first, our guides retain the decision if clients are to actually climb the peak of Mytikas. This will depend on both the clients’ abilities and weather conditions. In case of snow, the ascent to Mytikas is not possible.
• The trip starts and ends in Litochoro. For travel arrangements to/from Litochoro or accommodation in Litochoro please contact us.
Recommended Gear List:
Please try to travel as light as possible; remember that you must carry everything you bring on all the days' walk.
* Large, comfortable rucksack (60-65 litres) with padded straps and waist belt, internal frame preferred; waterproof liner recommended to keep clothing, etc. dry inside.
* Sturdy, worn in trekking shoes
* Good waterproof top with hood
* Warm clothes, both for windy / cold daytime conditions and for the cool evenings (fleece tops or similar)
* Shorts and long trousers for walking, preferably quick-drying material (cotton or polycotton not denim)
* Sweatshirts or T-shirts for walking, at least one with long sleeves and collar (against sun-burn)
* Sheet sleeping bag or similar (e.g. duvet cover), for the overnights in the refuge, although blankets will be available.
* Sunglasses, towel, sun hat or cap, sun block
* Water bottle
* Wash bag and simple first aid kit (plasters or blister kit, aspirin or similar, antiseptic)
* Photographers: bring your cameras
* Torch (head torch if you have one)
* Walking sticks
Mt. Olympus Hiking Exploration - Trekking in Greece