Zagori (Greek: Ζαγόρι), is a region and a municipality in the Pindus mountains in Epirus, in northwestern Greece. The seat of the municipality is the village Asprangeli. It has an area of some 1,000 square kilometers and contains 46 villages known as Zagori villages (or Zagorochoria or Zagorohoria), and is in the shape of an upturned equilateral triangle. The southern corner of the triangle contains the provincial capital, Ioannina, the south-western side is formed by Mount Mitsikeli (1,810m), and the Aoos river and Mount Tymfi constitute the northern side, and the south-eastern side runs along the Varda river to Mount Mavrovouni (2,100m) near Metsovo. The municipality has an area of 989.796 km2. The population of the area is about 3,700, which gives a population density of 4 inhabitants per square kilometer, compared to an average of 73.8 for Greece as a whole.
Walk from Kipi until village Monodendri.
Our day starts from Kipi village where we will meet the rest hikers from our group in the main square of village. Our guide will start with briefing and soon we start walk parallel to the main road until to reach the famous bridge of Plakida. From there we follow a beautiful path inside forest of beech and oak trees. We walk down into the Vikos gorge again, and, after crossing the “Misiou” bridge, we climb the old stairs of Vitsa to reach this traditional village, that it was built just at the edge of the gorge. Very soon the village of Monodendri is standing in front us. It is worth to visit the main square of the village and taste local pies with homemade wine.
Elevation: Gain 353m, Loss 654m
o/n at Monodendri
Walk from Monodendri until village Vikos.
We start our day from Monodendri (Deepest gorge according to the Guinness book of world records). After we pass through the village we find the entrance of the path (Monodendri steps) that is going us to the core of the gorge (1.5 km downhill elevation of 375 m). In the next 9 km we hike to different elevation rates in a wonderful place with big laminated stones. Always at the right side is the river of Vikos (Dry River) that in fact the most days of the year is dry. If we want we can go to visit the springs of Voidomatis River that came from underground. After that we continue in the same path that goes to village of Vikos. Transfer to Megalo Papigo village and overnight in guest room or hotel. Don’t forget at the afternoon to walk through the narrow streets of village.
Elevation: Gain 699m, Loss 1011m
o/n at Papigo
Our hike on 3rd day starts walking the scenic route to Mikro Papigo where it is popular for its caves which were inhabited in Neolithic times. We continue uphill our route we reach the red Lithari which is between towers of Astraka and the Gorge of Vikos with stunning views of the Albanian mountains. We return the same way but this time we will go through the most beautiful village of the 14th century Mikro Papigo where we can eat our lunch. After exploring the village, we will continue to gorge Rogovou (natural pools), a small canyon with cold running water formed pools - a great place for a relaxing bath.
Transfer to the point where we started the first day.
Elevation: Gain 677m,Loss 660m
Kipi Village Square
Season (Fixed Days):
265.0 € / Person
SGL / Supplement
30.0 € / Person
30.0 € / Person ( 2 Dinners)
50.0 € / Person ( 2 Dinners and 2 Lunches)
Number of participants: Min: 1 persons
If you wish a different date beyond the predefined please contact us
• 2 o/n on 3 star hotels or traditional guest houses ( B/B)
• The rates are per person sharing dl / twin
• All transefers according to the itinerary
• Transfer to starting point
• Experienced English speaking local guide
• Third party insurance
• All the taxes
• Personal expenses
• Drinks and beverages
• Anything not mention clearly above
Recommended Gear List:
Please try to travel as light as possible; remember that you must carry everything you bring on all the days' walk.
* Small, comfortable rucksack (30-40 litres) with padded straps and waist belt, internal frame preferred; waterproof liner recommended to keep clothing, etc. dry inside.
* Sturdy, worn in trekking shoes
* Good waterproof top with hood
* Warm clothes, both for windy / cold daytime conditions and for the cool evenings (fleece tops or similar)
* Shorts and long trousers for walking, preferably quick-drying material (cotton or polycotton not denim)
* Sweatshirts or T-shirts for walking, at least one with long sleeves and collar (against sun-burn)
* Sheet sleeping bag or similar (e.g. duvet cover), for the overnights in the refuge, although blankets will be available.
* Sunglasses, towel, sun hat or cap, sun block
* Water bottle
* Wash bag and simple first aid kit (plasters or blister kit, aspirin or similar, antiseptic)
* Photographers: bring your cameras
* Torch (head torch if you have one)
* Walking sticks
• Please note that this itinerary is subject to change at the discretion of the tour leader, according to local and weather conditions.
5/1/2017 - 10/30/2017
Zagoria Hiking Experiences - Trekking In Greece